There is a very sweet, smart, nicely dressed professional Real Estate agent that comes to my door nearly every week to drop off flyers. She doesn’t knock on the door, but I have run into her and have had pleasant conversations with her. She is just getting started in her real estate career and is hoofing it around her target neighborhoods to get leads. Good for her!
However, when I asked her if she uses social media to gain exposure and get leads, she shrugged her shoulders and said “I know I need to, but I don’t have time. And I’m still building my business.”
If you’re like me, that sounded downright backwards. In my opinion, if you’re just getting started, you owe it to yourself to try every means of exposure available to you – especially the FREE ones! To me, the words in this case really meant: “I don’t know how to use social media to grow my real estate business.” Because if she knew how, she would probably spend more time on her real estate social media and less time hoofing it for new clients. Here’s why:
- Social media is not going away. In fact, it continues to evolve as a very powerful marketing tool for any size business.
- Social media is within reach for any business to take advantage of, because it starts at the most affordable level possible. FREE!
- To do paid advertising on specific social sites is cheaper and far more targeted than just about any other means of online advertising.
- In this global economy, the whole world becomes a potential client. Just as CEO/Team Leader at Keller Williams in San Jose, Joseph Hollak says in the foreword of my book “How to Become a Social Media Content Machine for Real Estate,” his use of social media led to selling a home in Fresno, California to a US soldier in Afghanistan. The soldier would have never known about Joseph if he had not used social media.
- Unlike flyers, newsletters and paid ads in magazines, with social media you get to start, have and respond to CONVERSATIONS with your potential client. This builds familiarity, trust and loyalty. You can’t get that with a flyer.
While I’m not saying that the traditional methods of marketing and lead generation are not necessary any more, I AM saying that you are severely limiting your potential for growth if you rely on them alone.
Why reach just a neighborhood, when you can reach the world?
These reasons are in part, why I am passionate about helping Realtors® learn how to properly use social media to grow their real estate businesses. Because whether you are just starting out or are a seasoned Realtor®, you need to be using social media or you just might get left in the dust of my front walkway.