So you’ve created your business pages and business twitter account. You have a plan to provide great content…now what? Well, for one thing, your social media accounts are not benefiting you as much as they could if you simply don’t have any followers. Why? For two reasons:
- You need people to engage with you in order to come up higher in the search engines. That means, the more likes, shares and comments you receive in any of the social media venues (including retweets and favorites on Twitter) the more all of the social sites will see your content as valuable and worth sharing. Including Google.
- The bottom line is that you’re on social media to grow your bottom line, right?! You want a targeted audience to receive your information and find you worthy of their time and money.
So how do you grow your audience without spending any money? You spend time and energy, that’s how. Here’s what you can do.
- Go to the social media site where you want to gain more followers and log into your business page.
- Run a search on your key words. For example, if you’re a Realtor and you wish to work with first time buyers, think about what THEY are interested in. It could be sports or cooking or kids or pets. (Use Google Keyword Search tool to figure out what keywords are trending for each topic)
- When people come up that fit your keywords, look them over and see if they are your target audience.
Once you determine they are your target audience, here is how you get followers on each venue:
- On Twitter, you simply follow them and many of them will follow you back. Be sure to Tweet a shoutout to them to get their attention.
- On Facebook and Google+, I suggest sending them a message or posting on their page that you would love to have them follow your page and provide a link. (You can also advertise on Facebook for as little as $5 per day, but that’s a different blog post!)
- On LinkedIn, craft a good intro message and invite them to connect. Let them know if you are in a common group or why you would like to connect. Read more about LinkedIn Groups here.
Remember to be courteous and professional at all times. Do NOT SPAM people and always, personalize your message when you can.
It may take some time and energy on your part, but you can grow your audience if you simply commit 30-60 minutes once a week or whenever you can.